A biometric gun safe uses the biological data from your finger print to allow access to the contents of the safe. The main reason people get a biometric gun safe is because it does not require a key to gain access. The drawbacks of needing a key to access a safe are: leaving the key in an ideal location for quick access in case of an emergency but not left in a place where kids or other unwanted people can find it. Accessing a safe with a key requires more time and brain power under a stressful situation, most likely taking in the middle of the night when you are still half asleep. Making the biometric design an ideal choice for a gun safe.
If you are looking to get the best biometric gun safe, here are the things to look for:
1. Ease of installation: Different biometric gun safes have different requirements for installation. Installation includes any bolting down options as well as ease of fingerprint programming.
2. Controlled access: Each biometric gun safe model allows you to program a certain number of fingerprints. This allows multiple adults within a household to access the safe if others are away.
Top Tip: Program multiple fingers in case one of your fingers gets a paper cut, burn, etc.
3. Alerts: Some safe models have built in alerts. When the safe door is left open for a certain period of time, it will start beeping – alerting you that the safe is not secure. There can also be a beeping alert for when non-authorized (kids) are trying to open the safe with their fingerprints. Some people are not fond of the alerts as they would rather have it silent during a possible home invasion.
4. Lighting: Some of the larger biometric gun safes have an interior light feature, allowing everything inside to be seen in the dark.
5. Back up: Most models will include an emergency override key. Though the purpose of the biometric gun safe is to access it via a fingerprint, the back up key can be properly hidden, stored, even locked up securely, leaving the fingerprint recognition for quick, easy access.
6. Battery power: A battery powered biometric gun allows the safe to be used even during power outages. The smaller guns safes will be battery powered by default, allowing it to be mobile.
A biometric gun safe can come in many shapes and forms. You can have a completely mobile, small biometric gun safe or a slightly larger one that includes bolting down options. An option to keeping the gun safe secured (without bolting it down) is to buy a cable lock. A fully mobile biometric gun safe allows you to store it under the bed; the compact design makes it easy to hide anywhere. You are able to take it out of the house and to the gun range. Look for a safe that has a padding lining within it to protect the gun when transporting the safe. Larger and semi-mobile safes will include equipment to bolt down the box. These larger models can also be fireproof.
Biometric Gun Safe Review – The Biobox:
The most popular safe is the Biobox biometric gun safe. It is black, small, compact, portable and light weight. Designed to allow fast access with fingerprint recognition (up to 40 prints can be stored), it includes override back up keys. Powered by 4 AA batteries and a padded interior, it is truly portable – suitable for the home, office or car. Made of all steel, the Biobox biometric gun safe costs between $200-250.
Wanting to store your gun safely from harm’s way yet at the same time having quick and easy access, the biometric gun safe is the best option. Prices are continuously dropping as the technology gets more widely adopted by gun owners.